Let me take you back to two Sunday's ago. I was visiting family in Birmingham, AL. We all went to church on Sunday and the Pastor finished his sermon with, "Because of what happened in this state this weekend, you should all check out my article online about having good character." I automatically thought to myself, "What happened in the state? What did the supreme court do now? Did I miss something in the news?!" Then I lean over to my mother-in-law and ask what he means, and she says, "Oh, both Auburn and Alabama lost this weekend."
What in the world?! Football deserves a sermon mention..and a character article?! Well....apparently it does in Alabama. So, I decided since we're in the midst of football season, this is the perfect time to share how I would make sports better...because honestly, there could some improvements.
1. All sport teams need to represent the community in which the players come from. None of this Green Bay Packer that lives in Mississippi crap. If you were raised there, you play there! And if you aren't from there- get outta town son and join your own home team!
2. Olympic teams should also represent where they come from. For example, one year the Chinese volleyball team trained in California with American coaches....doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of representing your country?
3. Football needs to just keep running the clock no matter what. We need to get rid of this "stop every 2 seconds" stuff and learn how to tell time...and stop wasting my time! Or I'll compromise, and let you keep your terrible sense of time if you take out one quarter!
4. Baseball should be 2 innings shorter. Seriously- if you need a seven inning stretch- shouldn't that tell you something? Let's end the game there so we don't have to stretch just to make it to the end of the game!
5. Basketball should be harder. Obviously basketball is too easy if a team is scoring hundreds of points in a game! Let's make the nets higher, or farther apart, so then maybe points will become more meaningful when they are won.
6. Soccer should become easier. Sometimes soccer games end at 0-0. Are you kidding me? I watched this whole game for nothing? Why don't we make the nets bigger? Smaller field?
That's all I can think of for now. Someone go make these things happen, and then maybe your girlfriend will actually watch sports with you.
Sometimes I think I'm crazy. But sometimes, I think I know exactly what I'm doing.