It's weird how life speeds up all of a sudden. Overnight, you realize you have crossed into the threshold of becoming old. I started noticing how old I was becoming this past weekend at a wedding shower. The things that came out of my mouth took me by surprise! I had to stop myself and think, "Did I just have a full conversation with people about landscaping and milk glass?" I tried to remember the good ol' days, when all I talked about was new music (and didn't say the phrase "good ol' days"), but then found myself surrounded by people who also talk about landscaping and milk glass! Father Time has snatched me up and won't let me turn back the clock!
Now, before you start worrying that you are becoming as old as me, I have come up with a little quiz that will tell you if you've crossed over into the "becoming old" threshold. I based these statements on my recent personal experience with getting old-- but don't think age has anything to do with it! Whether you're 13, 23, or 82, you can still be "becoming old!"
Add up how many statements apply to you and see what score you got!
1. You know there's a difference between a comforter and a bedspread.
2. You've had conversations with people about grass seed.
3. You know more plant names than flower, bush, and weed.
4. You have said or thought, "I really want succulents in the kitchen."
5. You spend your weekends doing housework and then you're too exhausted to do anything fun.
6. You have fake fruit in your kitchen.
7. You know the difference between crystal and milk glass.
8. You actually have crystal or milk glass.
9. You enjoy watching HGTV.
10. Your friends are talking about childbearing techniques at your get-togethers.
11. You call things "Get-togethers."
12. You've said the words, "What are kids into these days?"
13. You've started a sentence with, "Back in the day..." before.
14. You've stopped using whiskey bottles as decorations.
15. You are mortified when anything starts after 8:30pm-- and even more mortified if it's on a Sunday night!
16. You spend your Sundays making your lunches for the week.
17. You go grocery shopping on Saturday because you know Sunday is a busy grocery day.
18. You are saving up for a new mattress.
19. You go into home goods stores by choice.
20. You are part of a neighborhood online forum or have attended an HOA meeting.
Score of 16-20 = You are ancient.
Score of 11-15 = You are elderly.
Score of 6-10 = You are over the hill.
Score of 1-5 = You are becoming old.
Score of 0 = You're still becoming old because you're reading a blog.
Sometimes I think I'm crazy. But sometimes, I think I know exactly what I'm doing.